Did you know
Prev Next

What is a Burns Unit? The Burns unit at the Royal Children’s Hospital is the designated paediatric burns unit for Victoria. More than 600 children present...

Read more

More than 3000 people attend Victorian Hospital Emergency Departments suffering burn related each year. 300 of those arrive at the Alfred Burns Unit...

Read more

Burns Alliance

The Royal Children’s Hospital Burns Department and the Safety Centre, together with representatives from the state’s fire services and the Alfred Hospital and The Royal Children’s Hospital Burns Units have...

Read more


Subscribe to our newsletter :

Media Releases

Who needs a burns unit?

The following criteria are endorsed by the Australian & New Zealand Burn Association in assessing whether burns require treatment in a specialised burns unit (ANZBA 2004):

  • burns greater than 10% of total body surface area (TBSA)
  • burns of special areas—face, hands, feet, genitalia, perineum, and major joints
  • full-thickness burns greater than 5% of TBSA
  • electrical burns
  • chemical burns
  • burns with an associated inhalation injury
  • circumferential burns of the limbs or chest
  • burns in the very young or very old
  • burns in people with pre-existing medical disorders that could complicate management, prolong recovery, or increase mortality
  • burns with associated trauma
MfbRoyal Children's HospitalThe Alfred
Footer Bar